Our Resources team is a strategic and commercially focused team that combines its industry experience, market knowledge and technical skills to advise resources companies throughout their project lifecycle, with the ability to draw on legal practice area specialists to provide practical expertise in every state and territory in Australia.
We assist with:
- Public and private M&A
- Equity capital markets transactions
- JORC and ASX listing rules compliance
- Joint venture advice and farm-in/farm-out agreements
- Project and corporate finance
- Power supply requirements, including PPAs and gas sale and transportation arrangements (trucked and pipeline)
- Royalty grant, acquisition and financing
- Land access and native title
- Dispute resolution
- FIRB advice and applications
- Negotiation and drafting of:
- Offtake and commodity agreements
- Refinery and processing agreements
- Port lease and port services agreements
- Development and construction agreements
- Operation and maintenance agreements
- Supply agreements
- Transportation agreements
- Capacity agreements
Advising the Jellinbah Group on their acquisition of a 50% interest in the Boonal Joint Venture.
Consolidated Contracting Company
Acted for Consolidated Contracting Company as a joint venture partner with McConnell Dowell in ICC arbitrations exceeding $800m in respect of the QCLNG Project (and various downstream claims on that project and APLNG Project).
Advising the Peabody Group in relation to its Red Mountain joint venture with BHP Mitsui Coal. This involved complex infrastructure sharing arrangements associated with the Millennium and Poitrel mines.
Mitsubishi Development Pty Ltd
Advising Mitsubishi Development Pty Ltd in relation to its BMA joint venture with BHP.
Mitsui Coal Holdings
Advising Mitsui Coal Holdings on a complex exercise of the pre-emptive and subsequent sale of its interest in the Dawson seam gas assets. This transaction involved three separate joint ventures and multiple vendors and purchasers including, Anglo American, Westside Corporation Limited, Mitsui E&P Australia Pty Ltd and Molopo Energy Limited.
QGC Pty Limited
Advising QGC Pty Limited on its acquisition of Petroleum Exploration Australia Pty Ltd and subsequent joint venture arrangements with Central Petroleum Limited.
Senex Energy Limited
Advising Senex Energy Limited in relation to negotiating joint operating agreements with its petroleum joint venture partners.
Advising a syndicate of banks in relation to the financing of the Yancoal Australia group, with a particular focus on project and corporate financing relating to Yancoal’s joint venture coal mining in NSW.
Consolidated Contracting Company Ltd
Acting for Consolidated Contracting Company Ltd, as a joint venture partner of McConnell Dowell, in one of Australia's largest LNG pipeline arbitrations.
Advising Doray Minerals on its $615 million merger with fellow ASX listed gold company Silver Lake Resources*
Chifeng Jilong Gold Mining
Advising Chifeng Jilong Gold Mining in relation to its $105 million acquisition of the Bibiani Gold Mine in Ghana (including advising Chifeng on the issues that ultimately led to Chifeng terminating the transaction)*
Advising several ASX Listed mining companies on their mining contracts, including in relation to power supply, gas supply, mining services, offtake and general supply and construction contracts*
Who we advise
We advise mining and resources companies, including both publicly listed (in Australia and overseas) and private companies, investors, underwriters, lead managers and mining services companies.
We regularly advise on various cross-border transactions, including companies with assets based in Africa, Canada, the United States, South America, Asia and Europe, as well as foreign companies looking to invest in Australian projects or list (or dual list) on the ASX.
Our team has deep industry experience advising energy and resources companies focused on all types of natural resources including:
- Mining projects covering all commodities, including base metals (copper, zinc, nickel, lead, tin etc), precious metals (gold, silver, platinum, palladium etc), battery minerals (lithium, nickel, cobalt, graphite, vanadium etc), rare earths, minerals sands, iron ore and coal
- Offshore and onshore oil and gas, including conventional and unconventional gas exploration and development
- Petroleum, gas and water pipelines
- Water processing and storage
- Port and rail infrastructure, services and lease arrangements
Why we are the experts
Our team provides agile and pragmatic advice and is supported by experienced practitioners that seamlessly provide related corporate advisory, project finance, employment and disputes services to assist clients in the resources space.
We partner with our clients to navigate the demands, time pressures and complexities of their projects. We are on hand to provide valuable, timely and innovative commercial legal advice to meet our clients’ business needs.