Our Infrastructure team advises on the project development, procurement, construction, investment, ownership and management of infrastructure assets and services.
We assist with:
- Project development, including securing land tenure and development rights/permits
- Project structuring
- Project and debt financing
- Tendering and contract documents
- Public-private partnerships (PPPs)
- Construction contracts
- Operation and maintenance agreements
- Contract administration, risk minimisation strategies and project delivery
- Dispute minimisation and early dispute avoidance strategies
- Resolving claims for variations, extensions of time, delay and other project claims
- Project dispute resolution
- Negotiation and drafting of:
- Concession agreements
- Development agreements
- Tender documentation
- Interface agreements
- Construction contracts
- Supply agreements
- Offtake agreements
- Project and debt finance documents
- Property and access agreements
- Step-in arrangements
Advised the Macquarie-led underbidder consortium in their structure and bid during the sale of Port Botany and Port Kembla, ultimately acquired by NSW Ports consortium for A$5 billion.
Advised on the acquisition of a 70% stake in the Nextgen Networks joint venture with Leighton Holdings, a total enterprise value of A$885 million; as well as the Ontario Teachers-led consortium on its 2012 acquisition of a 50-year lease in the Sydney desalination plant from the Government of New South Wales at a cost of A$2.3 billion.
Advised Spanish-toll road operator in its role as lead underbidder with a consortium of Hastings Funds Management, the Kuwait Investment Authority and a Dutch pension fund, the Algemene Pensioen Groep in their bid for the QIC Brisbane toll road portfolio sale in 2014.
CIMIC Group Limited
Acted for CIMIC Group Limited on its completion of the sale of 50% of Thiess, the world’s largest mining services provider.
Acting for a syndicate of lenders on the winning bid for the privatisation of Port of Newcastle in 2014.
Acted for Thiess and United Group as a joint venture involved in an expert determination relating to the Revesby Turnback Project in New South Wales involving TIDC and other projects.
Acted for the long-term service provider on respectively the negotiation of the operation and maintenance contracts and related agreements for Sydney's M7 motorway PPP and the negotiation of the project documents for its bid for the Brisbane Airport Link motorway PPP.
Acted on the drafting and negotiation of design, build, operate and maintain agreements and other project documents for the provision of sewerage and recycled water services, including for a NSW private water utility under the Water Industry Competition Act 2006 (NSW).
Acted for Bundanon Trust in relation to the delivery of the New Arthur Boyd Gallery and Residences, Bundanon (near Nowra, NSW), including in relation to grant funding compliance.
Acted for a major national contractor in the negotiation of major subcontracts relating to the Tyndall Air Force Base Upgrade Project in the Northern Territory.
Acted for Lendlease in respect of the delivery of the Mulwala Defence Propellant Manufacturing Facility Project in southern NSW.
Acted for Cubic Group in respect of various railway station upgrade works in NSW.
Who we advise
We act across the project lifecycle for national and international developers, consortia, contractors, sponsors, financiers, equity providers, consultants, vendors and purchasers.
Our team has deep industry experience acting across numerous industry sectors including:
- Transport infrastructure, including major road, rail, rolling stock, ports and airport projects and investments
- Social infrastructure, including education facilities, social housing, and the care and accommodation sector (health, disability, retirement and aged care)
- Water infrastructure
- LNG pipeline projects
- IT infrastructure including fibre optics and data centres
- Industrial plant
- Energy generation, distribution and transmission projects
- Resource extraction and beneficiation project
Why we are the experts
Our multi-disciplinary, commercially focussed and responsive team seamlessly advise across all the aspects of a major project life cycle, integrating related corporate advisory, project finance, planning, real estate and insolvency advice.
We partner with our clients to navigate the demands, time pressures and complexities of their projects. We are on hand to provide valuable, timely and innovative commercial legal advice to meet our clients’ business needs.