Our Energy team combines our project and market knowledge with our industry experience to provide strategic, commercial, legal and transaction advice on all aspects of the energy project lifecycle.
We assist with:
- Project development, including securing land tenure and development rights/permits
- Project structuring
- Project finance and investment
- Project and project portfolio acquisition and divestment
- Tendering and contract documents
- Project delivery, including contract administration and risk management
- Dispute resolution
- Electricity and gas regulation
- Negotiation and drafting of:
- Power purchase agreements
- Connection and network agreements
- development and construction agreements
- operation and maintenance agreements
- supply agreements
- transportation agreements
- capacity agreements
- offtake agreements
- project and corporate finance agreements
Acted for First Solar on the delivery of numerous EPC solar projects including, the largest in Australia at the time at Broken Hill, Nyngan and sites across Australia including, those impacted by the insolvency of RCR Tomlinson.
Advised FRV on the development, financing, construction and divestment of Clare Solar Farm to DIF and Lighthouse.
Advised Wirtgen and Wirsol in relation to the acquisition, development, EPC and financing of the Glenrowan West solar farm
Advising FRV as project sponsor on all aspects of the Lilyvale Solar Farm (100MWac), including connection with Powerlink being the first 132MVA simple “T” connection in the Powerlink network.
Advising FRV on the Royalla Solar Farm, including connection with ActewAGL being the first solar to connect to the NEM.
Advising FRV as project sponsor on all aspects of the Moree Solar Farm (56MWac), including connection with Essential Energy, as well as the First solar PPA in Australia with Origin Energy.
Advised Canadian Solar on the acquisition, development, financing and divestment of Suntop and Gunnadah Solar Farms including PPAs.
Advising FRV on the development of the Winton Solar Farm Project, including the VRET agreement.
Advising GRS and Chint on the Winton Solar Farm Project.
Advising a syndicate of lenders in relation to a $400 million project financing for the development of a wind farm in Western Australia.
Acting as internal legal counsel to Westpac during a secondment in 2017, supporting the project finance team and, in particular, Westpac’s participation in the Ross River solar farm syndicated project financing.
Advising Amp Energy on the Molong Solar Farm.
Advising GRS and Chint on the Goonumbla Solar Farm Project.
Acting for a major Canadian consortium in respect of litigation relating to a major EPC subcontract relating to a lithium battery project.
Acted for First Solar in the resolution of claims across Australia following the insolvency of the RCR Tomlinson Group.
Who we advise
We advise a broad set of clients navigating the global energy transition from fossil fuels to renewable sources of energy.
Our clients include project sponsors, investors, developers, financiers, manufacturers, contractors, operators, offtakers and other key stakeholders (including government agencies and departments).
Our Australian and international experience includes the following technologies:
- Solar (PV and CSP)
- Wind (onshore and offshore)
- Green hydrogen and ammonia
- Energy storage (chemical batteries, pumped hydro, gravitational, and compression technologies)
- Waste and biomass
- Traditional energy generation, including hydrocarbons
We also advise on:
- Electricity distribution and transmission, power pools and smart grids under the National Electricity Rules.
- Gas pipeline access under the National Gas Rules
- Electric Vehicle networks and regulation
Why we are the experts
Our expertise is rooted in knowing that no two projects are the same, and that providing creative and bespoke solutions is key to facilitating our clients’ success.
Our team’s energy transition focus means that we are at the forefront of the evolution of the global renewable energy industry, which allows us to help our clients navigate energy policy and regulation.
Our experienced team operate at and assist our client navigate the intersection of globalisation, regulation, and innovation.
We partner with our clients to navigate the demands, time pressures and complexities of their projects. We are on hand to provide valuable, timely and innovative commercial legal advice to meet our clients’ business needs.