Takeovers in Australia are highly regulated by the Corporations Act and other legislation, and by policy guidance from regulators.
This guide provides a high level overview of:
- the 20% takeover threshold in Australia, and other key shareholding levels
- types of control transaction, and how to choose between them
- details on takeover bids and schemes of arrangement, the main types of control transaction
- how a bidder can prepare for a bid
- how a target responds to a takeover proposal
- disclosure obligations in relation to interests in shares
- the regulators who are likely to be relevant to a control transaction.