AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Construction; Infrastructure; Energy Projects
- Legal 500, Construction, 2017 to 2020
- Lawyers Weekly, Partner of the Year Awards, Finalist - Construction and Infrastructure Partner of the Year, 2018 and 2019
- Lawyers Weekly, Australian Law Awards, Finalist - Partner of the Year (across all categories), 2018
- Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice – Flinders University, South Australia
- LLM – University of New South Wales
- Admitted in Supreme Courts of South Australia and New South Wales, Federal Court and High Court of Australia
- Acted for First Solar in respect of the delivery of the Broken Hill and Nyngan Solar Farms.
- Acted for various major head contractors, including Lend Lease, John Holland and Consolidated Contractors Company in various proceedings including in the NSW Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, expert determinations and arbitration (ACICA, SIAC, ICC and CIETAC) relating to civil, defence, LNG pipeline and mixed-use projects.
- Advised a major renewables concern as to their suite of EPC agreements and subcontracts.
- Advised on rights to securities across multiple sites for a major solar panel supplier following the insolvency of RCR Tomlinson Group.
- Successfully negotiating and resolving a $45 million multi-party dispute for a major head contractor as part of the NBN Project. The dispute involved over 2000 variations and claims for delay costs and preliminaries across 10 sites and 5 states.
- Acted for a major contractor in various major works packages relating to the Tindall Defence base upgrade.
- Preparing a suite of construction project contracts for a major developer in respect of a new town centre involving building works exceeding $300,000,000.
- Acting in various landmark construction decisions including in respect of contract law, security of payment, defects, termination, disputed variations, extensions of time, delay and end of project claims including having:
- Acted for Hills Central in Hagerty v Hills Central  NSWCA 200 and subsequent application for special leave to the High Court in respect of the disputed exercise of a call option;
- Acted for Ceerose in Owners Corporation SP76841 v Ceerose Pty Ltd & Anor  NSWCA 1545 &  NSWCA 140 in a landmark case relating to limitation of action in building claims;
- Acted for Lend Lease in Intercon v Lend Lease Project Management & Construction (Australia) Pty Ltd  NSWCA 463 in an important decision relating to ‘back to back’ contracts;
- Acted for Lend Lease in Wright v Lend Lease Project Management & Construction (Australia) Pty Ltd  NSWSC 441 in a related proceeding relating to a major defence project;
- Acted for CSR in Skilled Group v CSR Viridian & Anor  VSC 290 in respect of claims relating to the design and construction of major industrial plant; and
- Acted for Watpac in Watpac v Austin Corp  NSWSC 168 in an important decision in respect of security of payment and the re-agitation of claims.